Innovation Opportunity on the USAF Helmet Through AFWERX – Somewhat Frank Episode 7
Innovating at a large corporation or at a government agency can be difficult. It means doing things differently, introducing new concepts and embracing failure. The larger you are, the harder it can be to change the way you do things – even if it’s for the better. To combat that, the U.S. Air Force decided to create a new program dedicated to solving some of the toughest problems it faces via collaborations between the nation’s top intrapreneurs, industry experts, academic professionals, entrepreneurs, and non-traditional contributors. It’s called AFWERX.
On this episode of Somewhat Frank, I talk with his Established counterpart Jen Consalvo about the work that AFWERX is doing to innovate on the United States Air Force “fixed wing helmet” through an open AFWERX Challenge called the Helmet Challenge. We share some highlights of the 30+ innovators that convened in Las Vegas to showcase their solutions which are competing to for contracts to develop an entirely new helmet. Some of the companies we discussed include:
- Bell Racing – Aerospace grade carbon fiber pilot helmet featuring energy absorbing liner with integrated attachments
- Corsair Innovations – Fiber Energy Absorption Material
- Devali – Oumen Air: Helmet-Based Biometric Data Collection
- Hedgemon – Hedgehog-Inspired Impact Protection Liner
- Sempulse – Peak Performance Physiological Solution
- Somatic Labs – Zorb Touch: Haptic Feedback for Helmets
- Sonitus Technologies – Molar Mic
- Specialized – Mindset Micro-Adjustable Size/Volume Fit System
- Vozz Helmets’ Go Strapless – Rear entry helmet
I also talk with AFWERX Marketing Director Bobby Mack as he shares some of his thoughts on the challenge and the opportunity for some of the startups and known brands that came together as part of the program.
Listen as I talk with Jen Consalvo to showcase some of the innovators which range from haptics to biometrics to communications and more – part of one on the interesting open innovation programs being done in the U.S. today.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | TuneIn | SoundCloud | YouTube | Articles | RSS