Cleaning up the Earth, Kiss The Ground, Space Junk, and Fall COVID Spike – SOMEWHAT FRANK PODCAST EPISODE 20
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | YouTube | Deezer | RSS
On this Episode of the Somewhat Frank Podcast, Frank Gruber and John Guidos talk about enjoying the cooler temperatures and the fall harvest and about the Earth and what we’re doing to it. Specifically, they discuss the new documentary Kiss The Ground, which talks about a global movement of regenerative agriculture, balancing our climate, replenishing our vast water supplies, and feeding the world. Additionally, the problem is further reaching than just the Earth, out in space there is apparently a mass of space junk that needs to be taken care of as well. Frank also celebrates the following people in his network:
- Lolita Taub and Jesse Middleton are teaming up to launch The Community Fund.
- NOTE: Investing in early-stage Community focused or powered startups.
- Ben Metcalfe has launched a fund and made his first investment.
- Benoit Wirz at Brighteye VC has raised a new fund.
- J.D. Vance has his book Hillbilly Elegy is soon to be a movie on Netflix (Nov 24th).
- Andrew Song at Whisper has developed a new kind of hearing aid and have raised funds.
- Mike Levins on the launch of this startup in the insurance tech space!
Frank also suggests that everyone try and attend the 8th annual Startup of the Year Summit! We will stream this special event for free, online for your viewing pleasure, on November 16th – 18th. Also featured during the Summit are a number of exciting speakers including Tim Draper, venture capitalist and founder of Draper Associates; entrepreneur and author Kara Goldin will discuss her journey in starting Hint Water and her new book Undaunted (order the book today) entrepreneur Mike Evans will share his candid story behind starting and taking GrubHub to IPO plus his new startup Fixer.com, and forthcoming book Hangry; author and entrepreneur Rohit Bhargava will share learnings from his latest book Non Obvious Mega Trends; author Meredith Fineman will teach us tips from her new book Brag Better; author Whitney Johnson will teach you how to Disrupt Yourself, and more. Register now. The guys also talk about the following books/article they’ve read recently:
- Loneliness is at an all-time high with the isolation caused by the global pandemic – AI system detects loneliness in natural speech patterns
- It’s about damn time! – Airbus Unveils Hydrogen Designs for Zero-Emission Flight
- Clean energy could be in our future – Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest
- Stay cool. – The Arctic hasn’t been this warm for 3 million years
- 1 Tree, 2 Trees, 3 Trees… – Satellites could soon map every tree on Earth
- How is space already filled with garbage? And how do we fix it? – Over 75% of space debris detected in new survey is unknown objects
- Trendspotting: Diversity is now being rewarded at Starbucks – Starbucks Ties Executive Pay to 2025 Diversity Targets
- This is what parents are going through everywhere. – Op-Ed: Working Moms Like Me Are at the Coronavirus Breaking Point
- The theater industry is quite stressed out by the pandemic. – AMC Will Rent Out Entire Theater for $99
- Either way, there’s a 50/50 chance we live in a simulation. – A Study Shows There’s a 50% Chance We’re Living In A Simulation
Frank and John also chat about the new Shuffle app that is like Instagram for podcasts. It allows you to make 60-second clips of your favorite podcasts and then post them you would on your Instagram stories and profile. Thus, enabling you to discover and share parts of podcasts. Please listen to Frank’s interview with Polly Rodriguez from Unbound on the latest edition of the Startup of the Year Podcast, where she shared her rollercoaster ride bootstrapping her sexual wellness startup to success. We hope you enjoy the candid conversation, and maybe pick something up to apply to your life. Listen here.
One last final note, please remember to vote on or before November 3rd.
Get updates like this in your inbox before they hit the web by subscribing to the newsletter here.